Friday, January 4, 2008

Britney Spears Goes To The Hospital After Breakdown

Britney Spears was hospitalized late Thursday night after the pop star locked herself in a room with one of her children at her L.A. home and refused to hand him over to ex-husband Kevin Federline. Britney, who according to police appeared to be "under the influence of an unknown substance," was strapped to a gurney and rushed to Cedars-Sinai Medical Center. Kevin later showed up and custody of the children, Sean Preston, 2, and Jayden James, 1, was transferred to him.

A source close to Britney tells PEOPLE the pop star's court-appointed child monitor called police. "She had already put Preston in the car when Britney locked herself in a room with Jayden," says the source. Brit, who has visitation rights with the kids, was scheduled to give the boys over to Kevin at 7 p.m. Thursday.

A bodyguard for Kevin arrived to pick up the boys at the designated time, but Britney refused to relinquish her sons, according to a source. According to police, officers responded around 8 p.m. to a call "about a custodial dispute regarding Britney Spears's children," says Los Angeles police Officer Jason Lee.

Nearly three hours later, police determined that a court order stated that the singer's children, who were with Britney at the time, were supposed to be with Kevin and a transfer was arranged, according to Lee. "While officers were on the scene, they observed Ms. Spears under the influence of an unknown substance," Lee added.

In addition to multiple officers, fire trucks, two ambulances and a police helicopter were all on the scene. Britney was seen being taken to an ambulance on a gurney.

Britney's Father Arrives at Hospital
After Britney arrived at the hospital, her father, Jamie, and her ex, Kevin – as well as both of her sons – were spotted there. Police – as well as Kevin's lawyer Mark Vincent Kaplan – arrived at the house close to 8 p.m., though Kaplan was later seen leaving.

Earlier in the day, Britney showed up 90 minutes late to a scheduled deposition in her custody case – and stayed for only a fraction of an hour. Back at her Studio City home directly after the hearing, when a photographer asked if Kaplan was nice to her, Brit responded with an emphatic, "No!"


No comments: