Monday, May 7, 2007

Paris Talks About Her Sentence

Paris Hilton spoke for the first time about the 45-day jail sentence she was handed on Friday – and she let everyone know she is not happy. Described as visibly shaken and tearful, Paris, who must serve time for violating her probation after she drove with a suspended license, made her feelings clear to photographers waiting outside her Los Angeles home on Saturday night. "I told the truth I feel that I was treated unfairly, and that the sentence is both cruel and unwarranted. I don't deserve this." All of Paris’ speech was caught on cameras and can be seen at TMZ.com. Paris did have an idea of something like this happening as she said in an interview for Harper's Bazaar, for its June issue. "I think I get in more trouble just because of who I am," she says, as reported in Monday's New York Daily News. "The cops do it all the time," she is quoted as saying. "They'll just pull me over to hit on me. It's really annoying. They're like, 'What's your phone number? Want to go to dinner?' "

Paris says that police rarely write her up. "They just pull me over, and the paparazzi, of course, take a picture," she complains. "All the time. I have so many cops' business cards." The Simple Life star must report to jail by June 5. Paris’ attorney, Howard Weitzman, said he plans to appeal the verdict. Weitzman said, "I'm shocked and disappointed at the sentence by the judge. To sentence Paris Hilton to jail is uncalled for, inappropriate and ludicrous. She was singled out for who she is."

Paris has other problems than jail to deal with. Paris split with her longtime rep, Elliot Mintz this week as well. At her hearing, Paris had told Los Angeles Superior Court Judge Michael Sauer that Mintz had repeatedly informed her that her license had been suspended for only 30 days and that she could still drive for work-related matters. Mintz sent PEOPLE an email Sunday that said: "I believe when Paris stated in court that she believed it was o.k. for her to drive under certain circumstances she was being absolutely truthful." He also said, "Due to this misunderstanding, I am no longer representing Paris."

Source: People.com

No comments: