Friday, March 30, 2007

Catching Up With Loretta Lynn

The lady we all know as the "Coal Miner's Daughter" is still going strong in her 70's and it looks like she is not thinking about slowing down. During a recent interview with a Times Entertainment writer, Loretta cleared up whether age has slowed her down. "Slow down? What's that? I've got more energy today than I did when I was 16." And when asked if she was busy Loretta replied, "Oh yeah, hon, I'm staying busy. I've recorded all day. I'm working on a gospel album, Christmas album and a greatest hits album."

The country music legend who's career has span more than 40 years includes 70 albums, 52 top 10 hits and 27 number 1 songs including: "Don't Come Home A Drinkin' (With Lovin' On Your Mind)", "Fist City", "The Pill" and "You Ain't Woman Enough (To Take My Man)". She also has one of top selling autobiographies of all time pulished in 1976. The book was made into a big screen classic starring Sissy Spacek and Tommy Lee Jones. It won an Oscar. Loretta slowed down a little in the 1990's to be with her ill husbamd, Oliver "Mooney" Lynn also known as Doo-Little. He passed away in 1998. She also had some health problems, but they were a distant memory when she started getting back to her career.

Two years ago Loretta won a Grammy for her album Van Lear Rose and one for her duet "Portland Oregan" with Jack White. Jack of The White Stripes produced the album. So how did a country legend and an alternative rocker meet and decide to work together? Loretta said, "He sat and watched my movie in a theater, one show after another. He apparently didn't get sick of watching the doggone movie, and he told himself, when he got older, he was going to produce that lady." She went on to say, "We worked in Manhattan together and I said, 'I've got to get ready to record an album' and he said 'Can I produce you' and I said 'Why not?' " Loretta admitted she had never heard of him. but said, "He's such a great kid/ I love Jack."

Loretta said she will continue performing for a long time, "I still enjoy singing and people are living these songs, so I'd be silly not to go out and sing for them." She also stays up on current happenings in the world of entertainment. When asked about Britney Spears latest troubles she said, "I feel sorry for Britney. I think her parents are the ones to blame. I'm sure they'll come after me for that, but I don't care." On how the media has changed Loretta said, "It just happens in a split second now. When I did something, it took three or four days to hit the press. Other than that, it's no different." Loretta will be honored by Nashville Chapter's Recording Academy Honor on April 9 in Nashville. The ceremony will take place at Loews Vanderbilt Hotel. Loretta is still the Queen of Country Music and her legend continues to grow as her body of work grows. Long live the Coal Miner's Daughter!

Source: www.lorettalynn.com/www.gactv.com

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Umm I just wanted to say that Loretta's husband died in 1996 not 1998! But love the article other than that lol.